Ghee is a type of fat used in cooking that is made from butter. Ghee is essentially butter without the milk fat, so there’s no hormones or lactose that’s normally present in butter.
Though it’s healthier, and really delicious, ghee can often be super expensive. Luckily, you can make it at home in a snap and save yourself a lot of money!
- The best type of butter to use when making ghee is something organic, high quality, and cultured if you can.
- Put the butter in a pot and heat over medium-high and allow it melt.
- Once the butter is melted, it will start to bubble but don’t worry! Just leave it be. If the bubbles are too big, turn down the heat to a simmer.
- Then, the bubbles will break up and there will be no more foam.
- Stir the butter every once in a while and then wait until it foams again and the mixture becomes a little darker in color, but not burnt.
- When it’s done, the foam should have some brown bits on top.
- Turn off the heat and wait for it to cool before you strain it.
- Put cheesecloth over a fine mesh strainer and pour the butter through.
- Jar it, and keep it in your pantry for at least a month if it lasts that long!