Making black beans from dried beans has always been a challenge. For some reason, they are just much harder than all the other beans to make! Luckily, this recipe is fool proof, doesn’t require any soaking, and is ready in less than 2 hours! If you’re ready to save money, make beans even healthier and yummier, try this recipe today.
- Start by pouring however many beans you want to make into a large pot. 1 cup of dried beans will yield about 3-4 cups of cooked beans.
- Then, put into the pot half an onion peeled, 4-5 large cloves of garlic, and 1 bay leaf.
- Cover the beans with about 3 inches of liquids. The best way to measure is by using your fingers.
- The liquid for the beans should be approximately 1 part stock or broth to 2 parts water.
- Then, put the lid on the pot, bring it to a boil on high heat, and then take off the cover and bring it down to a simmer.
- Simmer the beans for the next 1 hour-1 hour 45 minutes until they are soft. They might need more liquid during that time, and if so, add in a bit at a time.
- When they’re soft, drain any extra water, season with salt, cumin, and chili powder, and cook for another few minutes and then enjoy!