Corned beef is a delicious deli staple, and is used in famous sandwiches like a reuben. If you want to get the same kind of deli feel in your home but you’re vegetarian or vegan, this is the recipe you have to try for yourself.
- 1 teaspoon whole coriander seeds
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice
- 1 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon whole peppercorns
- ½ teaspoon whole cloves
- 1 stick of cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 ½ cups vegetable stock
- 7 oz tempeh sliced into 1/3 inch slices
- 1 – 2 tablespoons oil
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- In a dry pan over medium heat, toast all the spices except for the ginger for a couple of minutes until fragrant.
- Put the spices into a mortar and pestle to ground roughly, or put them into a plastic bag and bang them with a rolling pin.
- Add them to a pot with the ginger and the vegetable stock and bring everything to a boil.
- Add in the tempeh and allow it to cook for 20 minutes.
- Then, take the tempeh out of the pot, heat up the oil in a pan, and fry on each side until golden brown, and then add in the soy sauce and let it cook for 1-2 minutes longer.