If you want summer to last a bit longer, you must try these Mexican popsicles called paletas. This is not your ordinary popsicle – it’s the best-frozen treat made from fresh fruit, which means they’re delicious!
Sommer Collier from A Spicy Perspective shared a recipe for spicy-sweet paletas made with fresh cantaloupe and chiles. This sounds like a promising combination of flavors, so make sure to try it yourself.
- 1/2 large ripe cantaloupe
- 1 medium peeled cucumber
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 jalapeño seeds removed and diced
- 2 drops red food coloring to enhance the color, optional
- Peel the cantaloupe and remove the seeds. Roughly chop the cantaloupe and cucumber. Place them in a blender with lime juice, salt, and sugar. Puree until smooth. Check the flavor; it should be equally sweet and salty. Add a little more sugar or salt if needed.
- Add half of all of the jalapeño to the blender. Pulse a few times.
- Pour the mixture into popsicle holds. Freeze for one hour, then push popsicle sticks into the center of each cup and return to the freezer until solid. Usually 2-3 hours total.